Skip to main content

The Book of Write-On: Day Three

 I've almost finished FUNNY HA HA.  I'm at W for Wodehouse.  I read one of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books years ago and it didn't make a huge impression on me.  I can't even remember which one it was.  Sometimes comedy classics misfire when it's not quite your humour and I thought it would be the case for this one.  I thought I'd plough through it anyway.  Page 568: The Spot of Art. 

It really is a masterpiece.  I was so, so impressed with it.  It's simple, it's exceptionally well-paced.  Some of the best stories just feel right and I eased into this one like I was sliding into a warm bath.  And the dialogue.  My Lord, the dialogue really zings.  I didn't want it to end and I'm a restless reader at the best of times.  

Here's an extract to give you an idea of the quality.  A bit of backstory: Wooster has set his sights on Miss Pendlebury, an artist who has just painted his portrait.  She returns to the house to inspect the portrait while Wooster is out.  When he returns, he finds out that ‘Miss Pendlebury had the misfortune to run over a gentleman in her car almost immediately opposite this building.  He sustained a slight fracture of the leg.’  Now the injured man – a Mr Pim – is convalescing in Wooster’s spare bedroom.  Wooster immediately recognises that this Mr Pim might turn into something of a love rival. 

I headed for the spare bedroom.  I was perturbed to a degree.  I don’t know if you have ever loved and been handicapped in your wooing by a wavy-haired rival, but one of the things you don’t want in such circs is the rival parking himself on the premises with a broken leg.  Apart from anything else, the advantage the position gives him is obviously terrific.  There he is, sitting up and toying with a grape and looking pale and interesting, the object of the girl’s pity and concern, and where do you get off, bounding about the place in morning costume and spats and with the rude flush of health on the cheek?  It seemed to me that things were beginning to look pretty mouldy. 

Firstly, my boss has used the term ‘pale and interesting’ to describe me, and given that he’s a big P.G. Wodehouse fan, I now know where it comes from.  He was also the one who put me onto Saki.  And he was the one to train me up and give me a profession so I’ve got a lot to thank him for. 

Secondly, the Jeeves and Wooster stories are a lesson in simplicity.  Not necessarily simplicity in storytelling, but in concept.  You’ve got a rich man and his butler and various external (and maybe internal, I don’t know - I haven’t read enough of them) forces that threatens to upset the equilibrium of an exceptionally comfortable lifestyle.  You can derive a lot of comedy from that anyway.  I guess that’s how situational comedies work.  But the real beauty of this story is how it is being said.  It’s eccentric, it’s poetic and it’s self-aware in the best way. And the rhythm of it is beautiful. 

Another set of short stories I was impressed by began on Page 195.  The first story by Italian writer Giovanni Guareschi is called A Sin Confessed.  He wrote 347 stories set in the “small world” of rural Italy after the war, featuring Don Camillo – a stalwart Italian priest – and his nemises Peppone – the hot-headed communist mayor.  In the three stories that appear in this book, there is one other recurring character: a certain Jesus Christ whom the priest calls on and has dialogue with when he’s faced with a moral dilemma.  I was so charmed by these stories.  Sometimes three characters is all you need.  Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 

Apart from this blog post and some rhyming couplets just to keep my hand in the poetry game, no writing done today. I’ve been visiting friends in Oxford.  I thought I’d be back in time to stop in at a pub to do some writing but Man United (my team) were playing Arsenal (Andy’s team)  and we didn’t sit down to eat until about 7:30.  Arsenal won 3-1, scoring two goals in extra time.  Their big signing Declan Rice got his first goal.  Andy was absolutely delighted.    

I listened to Taylor Swift’s album Lover on the way home.  I love a good pop song and this album’s full of them.  How lucky we are to have Taylor Swift in our world. 

It really is go-time tomorrow.  I'm going to set myself a writing target and knock it right out of the park. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

The Angel of Death - a Tommy & Moon Story

I cannot - for reasons that will soon become clear - tell you exactly where we were working.   What I can say is that it was an Arts & Crafts church somewhere in the south of England.  Given the number of non-Arts & Crafts churches across the country, this detail narrows it down tremendously.  I will also say that it’s one of the finest examples of a church built in response to that movement that exists today.  I would like to say I shed a small tear of joy when I first saw it, but I didn’t.  I probably said to Moon ‘Blimey O’Reilly, that’s a bit nice, ennit?’, or words to that effect as we walked through the lychgate. I also wouldn’t like to tell you the poem we were carving in the churchyard for fear of narrowing down the possible churches even further.   Suffice it to say, it was a lovely poem, and more than worthy of being carved beside one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen in my life.   The poem and the experience of carving it with Moon left such an impressio