Skip to main content

The Book of Write-On: Day Seven


Sofia Coppola loves Past Lives.  That’s really all I needed to know.  I was thoroughly on board with the premise of Past Lives anyway, but the Coppola seal of approval elevates it to an absolute essential watch.  It’s probably got strong Lost in Translation vibes, and the parallels don’t stop there.  Past Lives is director Celine Song’s debut feature, as was Lost in Translation for Coppola in 2003. 

I’ve been thinking a little bit about Lost in Translation recently because it was the topic of discussion on this week’s episode of the The Rewatchables podcast.  I listened to it straight away.  I didn’t see it at the cinema when it was released but I bought it on DVD and I fell for it hard.  I was obsessed with this film in my late teens and early twenties.  Maybe I outgrew it or overwatched it, but I haven’t watched it in ten or twelve years.  Now that its twentieth anniversary has rolled around, maybe the studio will release a special edition Blu-ray and that will be catalyst that makes me see it again.  I think I might like to rediscover it in a more organic way.  Maybe late at night after a gig, while flicking through the channels on the television in a budget hotel room.

Maybe Past Lives will be the next Lost in Translation.  My only hope is that Celine Song will continue to make extraordinary pieces of cinema like she’s done with her debut.  Coppola has never managed to recapture the magic of Lost in Translation.  But maybe, like Coppola, Song will get the recognition she deserves.  Coppola won Best Original Screenplay for Lost in Translation.  The Oscar spotlight was thrown onto South Korean cinema after the huge success of Parasite.  One Oscar nomination is a near-certainty.  I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it gets nominated for two or three.   

Past Lives is exactly the film I hoped it would be.  The Guardian called it ‘delicate and sophisticated, but also simple and direct.’  It must be difficult as a filmmaker to do two things at the same time.  It’s tender and complex, that’s for sure – a hard thing for any writer-director to accomplish given that there are so many moving parts in the making of a film.  You can have a feeling or a mood written that comes from the dialogue there on the page, but sometimes it might not translate.  There are so many variables that make it difficult to translate what the director has in their mind’s eye.  

In the case of Past Lives, everything works either very well or extremely well.  I was captivated by it.  I was charmed all the way through, right through to the ending, which was so well-judged.  In Sofia Coppola’s Oscar acceptance speech, she acknowledged Wong Kar-wai as a major influence on her work.  When I left the screening - having had the whole cinema to myself – I told the young woman behind the bar that it had a similar feel to films like Lost in Translation and Kar-wai’s In the Mood For Love.  We could go as far back as David Lean’s Brief Encounter in the onscreen portrayal of a bittersweet love.  The melancholy, the complexity - it fascinates us.  And Past Lives fascinated me, and it sits alongside the very best of them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

The Angel of Death - a Tommy & Moon Story

I cannot - for reasons that will soon become clear - tell you exactly where we were working.   What I can say is that it was an Arts & Crafts church somewhere in the south of England.  Given the number of non-Arts & Crafts churches across the country, this detail narrows it down tremendously.  I will also say that it’s one of the finest examples of a church built in response to that movement that exists today.  I would like to say I shed a small tear of joy when I first saw it, but I didn’t.  I probably said to Moon ‘Blimey O’Reilly, that’s a bit nice, ennit?’, or words to that effect as we walked through the lychgate. I also wouldn’t like to tell you the poem we were carving in the churchyard for fear of narrowing down the possible churches even further.   Suffice it to say, it was a lovely poem, and more than worthy of being carved beside one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen in my life.   The poem and the experience of carving it with Moon left such an impressio