Skip to main content

The Book of Write-On: Day Six

I saw Greta Gerwig's Barbie on the last Saturday of July.  I went with some friends whose nine year-old girl went wearing a pink dress.  I looked like the single uncle they invited out of pity.  I liked the film, but I wasn’t gushing with praise when I came out.  I gave it a six out of ten.  Maybe a seven at a stretch.  But what I did love was what it’ll do for Greta Gerwig and female film directors as a whole.  It’s a certified billion dollar movie.  The film has grossed $1.3 billion so far, and it’s still doing good business.  

The film that is now inextricably linked with it is Oppenheimer, the Christopher Nolan film about the creation of the atomic bomb.  The publicity that the “Barbenheimer” pairing created was extraordinary.  I don’t know whether the studios pedalled the idea from the outset or whether it was simply a fan-made viral sensation.  Either way, it worked.  Who could have predicted that two completely different films would spur each other on to such great box office heights?  The only thing they had in common was a release date.  Oppenheimer’s worldwide box office takings currently stands at $853 million.  These are insane numbers for an intense three-hour biopic.  I hope that one day Christopher Nolan and Greta Gerwig meet for dinner in New York or LA and someone records the moment they have to decide who gets the bill. 

It was through this Barbenheimer phenomenon that led me to see it this afternoon.  My first film at my unofficial writing resident: The Living Room Cinema in Chipping Norton!  This sabbatical is turning into an adventure in film and the Barbenheimer movement has guilt-tripped me into thinking I can’t have one without the other.  Barbie is Barbie and Oppenheimer is Oppenheimer, but Barbenheimer is Barbenheimer, man!  It’s bigger than us.  Maybe it’s more than the sum of its parts.  But maybe it’s just two films squished together into a forced marriage for the benefit of box office returns.  Oh Tom, how cynical of you! But at least now I can look my future grandkids in the eye and say ‘I went through Brexit, I went through Covid, I went through Barbenheimer.’  They’ll be proud and tell their teachers what a hero their granddad was.

I need a bit of time to digest Oppenheimer.  It’s wordy, it’s intense, it’s all the things I expected actually.  It dragged less than I feared it might, but I will still aware of the time the whole way through.  There were five other people in the 3:30pm screening and I recognise one of my fellow cinemagoers in Sainsbury’s afterwards.

‘What did you think of Oppenheimer?’

‘It was very well-acted, wasn’t it?’

I think that says it all, really.  It was very well-acted.  It was very well-directed and it was very well-everything else.  But when you watch an all-time nailed-on classic and you ask someone what they thought of it, they’ll say ‘I absolutely bloody loved it’ or ‘I cried so hard I got snot all over my jumper’ or ‘I laughed so hard I wet my pants’. ‘It was very well-acted, wasn’t it?’ would probably be the last thing they’d say.  You’re after a response that comes from the heart rather than the head. When you come out of the cinema at 6:50pm, having sat and watched something in a darkened room for three hours on a hot and sunny afternoon, you want that film to be so great that when you leave you want the world around you to seem slightly different for days and maybe weeks afterwards.  That’s the sign of movie greatness. 

I’m looking forward to seeing Past Lives tomorrow.  This might be the classic I've been yearning for.  They played a trailer for it before Oppenheimer and there’s a point towards the end where the couple look at each other with a mixture of love and longing and regret.  They must be at the fair because there’s a merry-go-round behind them and that moment was so quiet and so charged with emotion that it almost made me cry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

The Angel of Death - a Tommy & Moon Story

I cannot - for reasons that will soon become clear - tell you exactly where we were working.   What I can say is that it was an Arts & Crafts church somewhere in the south of England.  Given the number of non-Arts & Crafts churches across the country, this detail narrows it down tremendously.  I will also say that it’s one of the finest examples of a church built in response to that movement that exists today.  I would like to say I shed a small tear of joy when I first saw it, but I didn’t.  I probably said to Moon ‘Blimey O’Reilly, that’s a bit nice, ennit?’, or words to that effect as we walked through the lychgate. I also wouldn’t like to tell you the poem we were carving in the churchyard for fear of narrowing down the possible churches even further.   Suffice it to say, it was a lovely poem, and more than worthy of being carved beside one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen in my life.   The poem and the experience of carving it with Moon left such an impressio