Skip to main content

The Book of Write-On: Day Four

 I’m torn between saying ‘Hell, I’m not getting anything done’ and ‘Today has started slowly.’  But I did run four miles this morning and driven into Chipping Norton so it's not all that bad.  And and and: I did read another excellent P.G. Wodehouse story called Mulliner’s Buck-U-Uppo and it was just as dazzling as The Spot of Art.  This one’s about a ‘very young and extremely pale’ curate called Augustine, and to add to that description, a rather sickly and meek curate at that.  His superior, the Reverend Stanley Brandon, is a tempestuous former boxer and a big personality. Augustine happens to be in love with his daughter and the feeling’s mutual.  That’s the set up and the story doesn’t let the reader down.  The Bishop, whom the Reverend has known since school, is due to visit to give his former classmate a dressing down over the excessive embroidery on his cloak.  Stanley Brandon is gearing up for a terrific argument with his superior.   On the evening before the Bishop’s visit,  Augustine resolves to ask the vicar for his daughter Jane’s hand in marriage.  Jane dissuades the curate from doing so on account of her father’s irritability of the Bishop’s impending visit.  That night, Augustine receives a package from his aunt.  His uncle has been developing a miracle tonic called Buck-U-Uppo that seemingly cures the ailments that Augustine himself is afflicted with.  He takes it and it propels the story into a riveting second half.  I won’t spoil anymore.  You can read it yourself here, unabridged and with some wonderful illustrations!  

After this story, I was thinking of going back and giving the Oscar Wilde stories another shot but I read a random half-line and decided against it.  It’s hard-going and very much of its time, and being a comprehensive school-educated fellow of average intellect, I prefer my stories on the lighter side.  I appreciate Oscar Wilde – so much so that if I passed him in a dream street, I’d tip my hat and say good day to you, sir, but I’m afraid those stories are just not for me.

I am sitting in my new favourite place: The Living Room Cinema in Chipping Norton.  My Name is Alfred Hitchcock, a documentary about the great British film director, has just been delivered by motorcycle courier.  In true motorcycle courier style, he didn’t remove his helmet when he delivered the parcel.  There is always a sense of urgency about a man’s work when he enters a premises without removing his helmet.  It had the feeling of a heist about it.  A heist in the sense of a happy non-heist.  His schedule didn’t permit him to remove his helmet and that’s absolutely fine.  I wouldn’t want to remove my helmet if I was in his position.  Rather than a smash-and-grab, it was an unsmash-and-politely-give.  He was leathery, he was helmeted, he gave the parcel, got a digital signature from Manager Simon and was gone.  It was a smallish box, not too dissimilar to the size of the 600-page FUNNY HA HA book.  It was too small to contain a film reel, but too large to contain a USB stick.  My curiosity got the better of me. 

I pointed at the box.  ‘Is that a film?’    Simon was opening it as I asked.  It looked like a hard drive.

‘It’s a hard drive with the film on it.’  Simon handed it to me. 

I wasn’t au fait with the weight of hard drives.  I couldn’t say whether it was overly heavy or overly light, or indeed just an averagely-weighted hard drive.  The weight seemed to me to be the most important thing in that moment, but then I thought that weight is probably of the least importance.  Minutes don’t add grams.  I didn’t think they did.  Do they?  I handed it back to him after a few seconds, scared that the longer I held it the more likely it was that I’d drop it, like a friend’s newborn baby.  Like a baby, this thing was important to the future happiness of lots of people and nothing bad was going to happen.  Not on my watch.  I returned it swiftly and without drama because he was keen to whisk it up to “the room” – presumably the room with the projector in it, but I didn’t know how these things worked.  Is a film uploaded from the hard drive or is the film downloaded onto the computer?  Is there a difference?  He was the perfect person to ask, but of course I didn’t ask him.  Best to stay quiet and pretend to know things.  But the thing about this episode that fascinated me most of all was the term Simon used. 

‘I’ve just got to pop this upstairs.  The screening’s at 5:30 and it takes a few hours for the film to be ingested.’

I went quiet at that final word and blinked a few times.  Ingested.  Dear reader, you’ll never understand the images that this word conjured up.  It wasn’t so much the word ‘ingested’ - although it was a terrific surprise within the context of what was being described - but rather its closeness in proximity to the word film.  Films get ingested.  Okay, that’s a bit weird.  Is it a new thing?  Have they always been ingested?  Were they ingested in Hitchcock’s day? 

A development: Simon has shown me Screening Room 1 because I haven’t actually seen a film here yet.  He’s said that My Name is Alfred Hitchcock has been 68% ingested.  He added that the hard drive gets ingested into the projector (and I’m almost certain he said this) ‘by taking the roof off.’  I nodded as my brain was forced to restart. 

I used to read and write in a greasy spoon café just down the road.  This place may just be my home-from-home during this month-long writing adventure.  Absorbing - rather than ingesting - the general splendour of this cinema café.    

Comments

  1. Tom, just been reading this to my wife and we have both been crying with laughter. Such a pleasure to have met you and thrilled that the Living Room Cinema is your new favourite place. Looking forward to seeing you soon and more chats about ingesting! Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased it made you both laugh! I got a real kick out of writing it. I've spent the week writing in Edinburgh and watched Past Lives for the second time! See you soon...maybe for a third viewing of it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

The Angel of Death - a Tommy & Moon Story

I cannot - for reasons that will soon become clear - tell you exactly where we were working.   What I can say is that it was an Arts & Crafts church somewhere in the south of England.  Given the number of non-Arts & Crafts churches across the country, this detail narrows it down tremendously.  I will also say that it’s one of the finest examples of a church built in response to that movement that exists today.  I would like to say I shed a small tear of joy when I first saw it, but I didn’t.  I probably said to Moon ‘Blimey O’Reilly, that’s a bit nice, ennit?’, or words to that effect as we walked through the lychgate. I also wouldn’t like to tell you the poem we were carving in the churchyard for fear of narrowing down the possible churches even further.   Suffice it to say, it was a lovely poem, and more than worthy of being carved beside one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen in my life.   The poem and the experience of carving it with Moon left such an impressio