Skip to main content

I Love It When Poetry Comes Alive

I love it when poetry comes alive.  That is not to say that it doesn’t come alive when I read a good poem.  But when it can be discussed, when views are exchanged – that’s when I feel poetry really leaping off the page.

I’ve been reading and writing poetry for the past four years, but I felt it really come alive when I attended the opening rounds of Cheltenham Literature Festival’s Poetry Slam last October.  For anyone who thinks they dislike poetry, I urge you to go to a poetry slam.  If you tell me afterwards that you weren’t captivated, I’ll refund the price of your ticket myself.

In an attempt to stay up to date with contemporary poetry, I’ve had a subscription with Poetry Review since the beginning of the year.  Being relatively new to the poetry scene, I never expect to know many names.  However, that never stops me scanning its contents page in the hope that I recognise one or two more names than I did last time around. 



My eyes were drawn to a couple of poets: Owen Sheers and Matthew Sweeney, two very well-established poets (Sweeney’s A History of Glassblowing, which won second prize in the National Poetry Competition, is one of my favourites), but all the other names on this first page of contents were new to me.  However, upon turning to Page 4, I was delighted to find a name not only did I recognise, but whom I knew personally.  I was astonished. 

I’ve only ever known one other poet in my entire life and this was one of them!    

Simon Royall should take a bow for his incredibly tender poem, Putting on My Shirt.


In the dark, I can still find each button
and so dress by the bed without waking you.
I find them like the stops of an accordion,
my fingers pressing silently, practising,
feigning musicianship to themselves,
since I never learned to play and moreover
in my own hands I am collapsed, silent,
folded all day, my full-bellowed length
kept compact – no tune getting through
my clumsy fingering.  Only once I’m back
does instrument find musician,
do I commend to you each button.


This should give you a very good idea as to the sort of power that poetry can possess.  The poem has at once a distinctive voice and a lightness of touch - two essential tools of the writing trade that, more often than not, alludes me.  The poem is written to Simon's lover, a technique  that, when done well, as it is here, makes for a more personal experience for both writer and reader.  It reminds me of the poems found in Rapture, Carol Ann Duffy’s T.S. Eliot prize-winning collection.  To many, Duffy was the angry poet you were made to read as part of the GCSE syllabus.  Unsurprisingly, there's more to our current Poet Laureate  than Mrs Havisham and the rings in a tree.  One of my favourite from Rapture is If I Was Dead.  Like Putting on My Shirt, it employs simple language and structure and is written directly to the poet's lover.  


If I was dead,
and my bones adrift
like dropped oars
in the deep, turning earth;


or drowned,
and my skull
a listening shell
on the dark ocean bed;

if I was dead,
and my heart
soft mulch
for a red, red rose;

or burned,
and my body
a fistful of grit, thrown
in the face of the wind;

if I was dead,
and my eyes,
blind at the roots of flowers,
wept into nothing,

I swear your love
would raise me
out of my grave,
in my flesh and blood,

like Lazarus;
hungry for this,
and this, and this,
your living kiss.

Comments

  1. Lovely write up, Tom. I met Matthew Sweeney a couple of years ago (he's a friend of one of my MA lecturers) and was a hoot. A warm, funny guy who makes for great company.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

An Expert Analysis of Michael Fassbender's Running Style From the Film 'Shame'

Tom Wiggins: What are your first impressions of Michael Fassbender/Brandon's running style? Paul Whittaker: He's running nice, smooth and relaxed. He seems like he has a good amount of fitness and he is running well within himself in terms of pace.   TW: What improvements could he make to his running style? PW: The main improvement I'd make is his foot plant.  He lands heel first and this causes a 'breaking' effect when travelling forwards.  If he landed on his mid-foot/forefoot, this would be a much better for impact stress and propulsion going forward into the next running stride. TW: Regarding his speed, how many minutes per mile is he running? PW : I would say he is running approx 7-7.30 minutes per mile. TW:   What do you make of his stride lengths?  Is he overstriding/understriding? PW:  The actor is definitely overstriding in this clip.  It would help if his feet landed underneath and below his centre of gravity. TW: What's his