Skip to main content

King Snail and Other Silly Thoughts

I had this line in my head.  ‘I want to get to the heart of how you feel.’  Couldn’t stop thinking about it.  Didn’t know what to do with it.  If I played an instrument, I might’ve used it in a song.  Written it, recorded it, played it to an audience who all spontaneously burst into tears because it was so damn beautiful.  Wouldn’t need to shower when I got off stage.  Cleansed by all the people who love me.    Maybe I’ll use the line one day.   Put my arm around somebody’s shoulder or hold their hand and I say that line with so much compassion that they do open up.  Didn’t even need to sing it.  Maybe it’ll remind me of this moment as the rain pitter-patters on the cabin roof.   

 

Today the rain is a blessing,

yesterday the rain was a curse,

the weather can wallop a wallet,

or pickpocket a pretty old purse.

 

A snail travelled over my shoe last night.  It left a slimy trail.  I gave that snail a round of applause.  A rapturous round of applause.  I might have even whoop-whooped it.  Now that snail is the king of all of his snail mates.  He’s the boss snail.  Free drinks for him all night.  All his snail mates want to be the boss snail.  Tomorrow morning, I’ll find that everything I’ve ever owned has been slithered over and slimed.  A truly heroic night of snail travel will take place tonight.  Like the first man to reach the north pole.  Tonight will go down in snail history. 

 

Here he comes! 

Jesus of the snails!

Michelangelo of the snails!

Neil Armstrong of the snails!

Hail, King Snail!

 

Still trying to work out what I’m going to do in August, what I want to get from it.  I’m taking a sabbatical. The whole month off.  I might go travelling.  Do I like travelling?  Well, you don’t really like travelling.  You like writing.  Well, why don’t you write?   But I won’t meet new people if I spend the whole month writing.  You could write, then meet people, then writing about meeting those people.  Yes, I could do that.  What do you want to do?  What do you really really really want to do?  I don’t know.  Well, if you don’t know, I don’t know.  That’s helpful, thank you.  I’m going to think of a big crazy magical surreal idea and do that and then everyone will call me Tom the Decisive and Exceptionally Crazy Magical Surreal and also Talented One and I will swagger into every room with King Snail on my shoulder.  I can hear my Wikipedia page being written as we speak.  But now I must go to bed. 

A creep,  

A creep,

A creep,

Then a slow and steady descent into deep, deep sleep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

The Angel of Death - a Tommy & Moon Story

I cannot - for reasons that will soon become clear - tell you exactly where we were working.   What I can say is that it was an Arts & Crafts church somewhere in the south of England.  Given the number of non-Arts & Crafts churches across the country, this detail narrows it down tremendously.  I will also say that it’s one of the finest examples of a church built in response to that movement that exists today.  I would like to say I shed a small tear of joy when I first saw it, but I didn’t.  I probably said to Moon ‘Blimey O’Reilly, that’s a bit nice, ennit?’, or words to that effect as we walked through the lychgate. I also wouldn’t like to tell you the poem we were carving in the churchyard for fear of narrowing down the possible churches even further.   Suffice it to say, it was a lovely poem, and more than worthy of being carved beside one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen in my life.   The poem and the experience of carving it with Moon left such an impressio