Skip to main content

Slow Club or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Band

I was introduced to Slow Club near the end of 2014 while training as a stonemason at Bath College.  I liked them, but it wasn't love at first listen.  I remember watching Gareth from The Office star in one of their music videos and being as underwhelmed by it as he was by his ride on the Ferris wheel.  ‘Giving up on Love’ is early Slow Club and I sort of liked it, but at the time it sounded like a song I'd hear on an advert containing twenty-somethings pretending to be teenagers as they got ready for a night out.  It was a song I'd enjoy while the advert lasted but one that I would fail to look up. 

But I stuck with them because the friend who provided the introduction also liked Joanna Newsom - and us Newsom fans have to stick together. The song featured on ‘Yeah So’, Slow Club’s 2009 debut album, but a cutesy advert-friendly band they were not.  They weren’t about to let the end of the decade swallow them up.  They were in the process of developing a more unique sound that afforded them the right to thrive well into the next decade. 

Two years later they would release 'Paradise', an album that contained some Slow Club classics. 'Two Cousins' and 'Beginners' were the big hits, the latter starring an angry Daniel Radcliffe who looked like he'd had either his heart or his wand broken.  'Two Cousins' is a shoe-in for my favourite Slow Club song and it was probably my favourite at the time.  It reminds me of the weekend I spent with my brother while he was studying for his postgraduate degree at Warwick University.  Simon and I had gone to see Slow Club at Gloucester Guildhall on the Thursday (and he subsequently wrote this brilliant review of the gig) and I went to visit my brother on the following weekend.    ‘Two Cousins’ was an indication of the soulful direction they would go in as they approached the release of their masterpiece of a third album, ‘Complete Surrender’. 

It was the soundtrack to the whole of 2015.  I can’t think of another album I’ve listened to more this decade.  It was hard choosing a favourite because there are so many highlights.  ‘Tears of Joy’ is the obvious hit without being the megahit that Slow Club always needed.  And then there’s the one-two punch of ‘Number One’ and ‘Queen’s Nose’ in the centre of the album and this really calls attention to their evolution as talents in their own right.  A virtuoso performance from both artists one after the other: Charles Watson oozing class as a singer as well as a songwriter.  The guy’s got skillz – and the Z is both necessary and fully deserved.  Only a handful of artists have his lightness of touch as a songwriter.  And then Taylor comes in and does what the Sheffield singer does best and belts out something so vast that it requires its own gravitational field.

But for all their talent as individuals, it’s when they sing together that has always made the band so special.  This is why I’ve chosen ‘Wanderer Wandering’ as one of my songs of the decade.  In an album that manages to create so much space, this is the song that creates the most space: space for the listener to move around in and breathe.  Space to relax, space to feel and space to consider those feelings.  I slip into introspection every time I listen to it.  I’m reminded of Henry de Montherlant’s quote about how happiness writes in white ink on a white page.  And while it may be harder to create a feeling of happiness in a novel than it is to create space in a song, Slow Club have frequently created the space required to give the listener an opportunity to explore.  And that’s what I like so much about them.  There aren’t many bands who can do that as well as they can.  

Simon and I went to see them again at Bristol’s Colston Hall in the spring of 2016 but they didn’t have the same joie de vivre that was present a year previously.  They didn’t have their session band with them this time and they occupied opposite sides of the stage – an indication perhaps that we’d unwittingly caught them at their peak when they visited our hometown.   In August of that year, they released ‘One Day All of This Won’t Matter Any More’ – and the title seems to say it all.  But it was a fine album.  It was released within a month of Angel Olsen’s ‘MY WOMAN’, an album that completely blew my socks off.    I can’t say I listened to Slow Club’s new album as much as Angel Olsen’s, but it got a good amount of attention.  I was on my stonemasonry apprenticeship in Scotland at the time and I remember listening to ‘The Jinx’ over and over again.  Taylor’s vocals had never sounded more beautiful.  It was my third most played song of that year.

Slow Club parted ways in 2017 to pursue their own projects.  Watson released ‘Now That I’m a River’ in 2018 and Rebecca Taylor released ‘Compliments Please’ under the moniker Self Esteem earlier this year.  But I’m confident they’ll reform as we move forward into the next decade.  It must be hard being in a band.  But I always felt that whatever happens they would always remain on good terms and be open to reforming – or maybe that’s just wishful thinking on this fan's part.  

I almost met Rebecca at the Colston Hall gig.  They were selling their wares on the merchandise stand after the show and I bought a few CDs off Charles.  He signed my ticket and passed it down to Rebecca to sign.  That was my chance to say hello but I got shy and waited for my ticket to be passed back.  I couldn’t meet one of my idols, especially while sober.  I like poetry and I’d happily meet a poet.  I like films and I’d happily meet an actor.  But female singer-songwriters occupy a much higher level of importance.  I’ve mythologised the ones I like.  Nothing can beat a beautiful female voice and Taylor possesses one of the most beautiful voices of them all.  And I’m happy to say that to anyone…except maybe to her. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

An Expert Analysis of Michael Fassbender's Running Style From the Film 'Shame'

Tom Wiggins: What are your first impressions of Michael Fassbender/Brandon's running style? Paul Whittaker: He's running nice, smooth and relaxed. He seems like he has a good amount of fitness and he is running well within himself in terms of pace.   TW: What improvements could he make to his running style? PW: The main improvement I'd make is his foot plant.  He lands heel first and this causes a 'breaking' effect when travelling forwards.  If he landed on his mid-foot/forefoot, this would be a much better for impact stress and propulsion going forward into the next running stride. TW: Regarding his speed, how many minutes per mile is he running? PW : I would say he is running approx 7-7.30 minutes per mile. TW:   What do you make of his stride lengths?  Is he overstriding/understriding? PW:  The actor is definitely overstriding in this clip.  It would help if his feet landed underneath and below his centre of gravity. TW: What's his