Skip to main content

Lyrics, Lyrics, Lyrics! Ten Examples of Songwriting Genius!

I like music.

I like music and lyrics.

I like music and lyrics that make me go wow-wee!

I like music and lyrics that make me go wow-wee and cor blimey!

I like music and lyrics that make me go wow-wee and cor blimey and here are ten examples that do just that.


1.   Best Kept Secret - Laura Veirs

I never fail to be touched by these lyrics.  You can tell in Veirs' voice that it's real and beautifully, beautifully true.

December, I was lost in a darkness I couldn't shake, 
Called you in California and you answered right away, 
You answered right away, 
You picked up right away. 


2.  Boyfriend - Marika Hackman 

A line that's perfectly delivered.  Sound and meaning in perfect synchronicity.  

You came to me for entropy and I gave you all I had. 


3.  K. - Cigarettes After Sex

A modern-day love song.  I'm always drawn to narratives in music and I love listening to a song with a strong sense of place.  This one ticks both of those boxes.  It also sounds beautiful.  

I remember when I first noticed that you liked me back, 
We were sitting down in the restaurant waiting for the check, 
We had made love earlier that day with no strings attached, 
But I could tell that something had changed how you looked at me then.  


4.  Your Young Voice - King Creosote 

King Creosote's ethereal voice and the repetition of a small but significant admission is one to be cherished. 

It's your young voice that's keeping me holding on, 
To my dull life, 
To my dull life. 


5.  Don't Let the Kids Win - Julia Jacklin 

There's a lot to love on this album, but I plucked this line out as a favourite.  Real heart-in-mouth stuff, especially the line about walking your sister down the isle.  And I haven't even got a sister! 

And don't let the time go by 
without sitting your mother down 
and asking what life was like for her 
before you came to be around 



6.  Baby Birch - Joanna Newsom 

I first heard Newsom sing this live at Somerset House in 2008 and it's made it's way steadily up the list of my favourite Joanna Newsom songs ever since.  No one in music can write lyrics as poetic as she can.  It puts the majority of poets to shame.  A songwriter in a class of her own. And seeing this performance of it is a great privilege of this age.   

There is a blacksmith and there is a shepherd and there is a butcher boy,
and there is a barber who's cutting and cutting away at my only joy.
I saw a rabbit as slick as a knife and as pale as a candlestick, 
and I thought it'd be harder to do, but I caught her and skinned her quick. 
Held her there, kicking and mewling, upended unspooling, unsung and blue -
told her wherever you go, little runaway bunny, I will find you.
And then she ran, as they're liable to do.  


7.  Horizon - Aldous Harding 

There's just something about the way Harding sings this one line.  It's more like a possession than a performance.  And I can't work out whether Harding is the demon possessing the song or whether the song is the demon possessing her. 

Here is your princess, here is the horizon.  
Here is your princess, here is the horizon.


8.  Sleepwalker - Julie Byrne

When this first came on the radio, I was convinced by the end of the guitar intro that this was a Laura Marling song.  The guitar picking is exceptional and really evocative of that Marling style.   Then another voice began "I lived my life alone before you" and I was sold instantly.  There's a confidence about that Leonard Cohen-esque first line that made me fall in love within forty seconds.  And the album cover may be the most beautiful I've ever seen.  

I lived my life alone before you,
and with those I'd never succeeded to love, 
and I grew so accustomed to that kind of solitude.
I fought you - I did not know how to give it up.  



9.  Night After Night - Laura Marling

I couldn't leave Laura out.  I've been listening to this young woman for a very long time.  The new album is a slight return to form so I was going to add some lyrics from 'Nothing, Not Nearly'.  But I frequently go back to her first three albums, which are packed with modern classics.  So here are some lyrics from 'What He Wrote' from the 2010 album 'I Speak Because I Can'.  Few lyrics run as deeply as these do. So good in fact that I was left open-mouthed by the sheer quality of this song when I rediscovered it last year.  To my mind she's the most talented British singer-songwriter of her generation.  

Begged him to stay in my cold wooden grip.
Begged him to stay by the light of this ship.
Me fighting him, fighting like fighting dawn, 
and the waves came and stole him and took him to war.  

10.  Rotterdam by The Beautiful South 

And finally a fun one: 

The whole place is pickled, 
The people are pickles for sure, 
And no one knows if they've done more here
Than they would ever do in a jar.  





Comments

  1. Whenever I think about great songs and great songwriters I always struggle to think of lyrics that really move me. I think it's because I find it hard to separate the lyrics from the music from the performance. There's a line in an old Blondie song where Debbie Harry sings "your hair is beautiful, oh tonight" which sounds really trite and superficial when written down like that but becomes sublime when her awestruck vocals and the glistening production turn into it into some kind of hymn to perfection. On the other hand, a lot of Dylan's lyrics seem to mean more to me as prose than when he's singing them. Strange. I mean - "the ghost of electricity howls around the bones of her face" - stuff like that. Bob's nasal drone is essential to his art but the lyrics can get lost in the delivery. Maybe I'm defeating my own argument here. But what do I know? I once wrote a song called "Jesus Stole My Skateboard" so I'm probably not the best judge of great lyrics...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

An Expert Analysis of Michael Fassbender's Running Style From the Film 'Shame'

Tom Wiggins: What are your first impressions of Michael Fassbender/Brandon's running style? Paul Whittaker: He's running nice, smooth and relaxed. He seems like he has a good amount of fitness and he is running well within himself in terms of pace.   TW: What improvements could he make to his running style? PW: The main improvement I'd make is his foot plant.  He lands heel first and this causes a 'breaking' effect when travelling forwards.  If he landed on his mid-foot/forefoot, this would be a much better for impact stress and propulsion going forward into the next running stride. TW: Regarding his speed, how many minutes per mile is he running? PW : I would say he is running approx 7-7.30 minutes per mile. TW:   What do you make of his stride lengths?  Is he overstriding/understriding? PW:  The actor is definitely overstriding in this clip.  It would help if his feet landed underneath and below his centre of gravity. TW: What's his