Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Today's Cryptic Crossword



Today's cryptic crossword in today's Citizen went better than expected.  This is usually slightly more difficult than The Sun's cryptic, and I'm usually left struggling after half a dozen clues.  But today I managed to do half of it: 12/24.  I sat in the garden while I did it, so perhaps it was a combination of sunny weather (rather restorative after such a long winter!) and St. George's Day - a dragon of a puzzle, albeit half-slayed. 

A few clues in particular made me chuckle:

23a: Right in the middle of the cemetery (4,6)
Answer: Dead Centre

As far as cryptic clues go, this was quite a straightforward one.  Easy to work out but a nice little pay off.  

16d: Forty five and not yet married? (6)
Answer: Single

As you can see from my scribbling at the bottom, numbers within clues usually suggests that roman numerals should be used, so I wrote "XLV" to see how that would fit into the answer. Then it dawned on me that a 45 is a record, or single.  This one was a double definition: single as in a record and single as in unmarried.  Clever!  

8a: See post being created for female writer (7)
Answer: Poetess

Feminists look away now.  I've been to several poetry readings over the past few years and have had moderate success with my own poems (I've recently been published on Ink, Sweat and Tears, the webzine edited by Helen Ivory), but I've never heard a female poet be called a "poetess".  I'd certainly shake the hand of the man that did.  The answer was hidden in the anagram "See post", with "being created" being the indicator and "female writer" being the straight clue.   

I do love a good cryptic clue for the path the surface meaning leads you down.  It's only when you delve a little deeper that you find its real beauty.  Here's to the ongoing cryptic journey! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G-Dog Advises Me to Go Big on the Blackberries - a Tommy & Moon Story

It was a few weeks into autumn and I hadn’t had a hair cut since before the summer solstice.  My beard, long and straggly and in desperate need of trimming, was a week away from having birds nest in it.  I unpolished my boots and wore some old jeans that were ripped at the knees and dirty from digging a deep hole on a particularly wet day in Highgate Cemetery.  Hanging loosely over the top of those was a baggy grey jumper I spilt half a bottle of bleach over about three years ago.  I looked a bit of a state, but there was a method to my madness.  Today was the day I was going to ask Moon for a pay rise and I wanted to look as if I’d been trod on. On the morning I was due to ask him, my bike got a puncture not twenty yards down the road from my house. It wasn’t a polite slow puncture so that I might finish my journey on a squidgy but rideable front tyre; the thorn tore through that poor inner tube like a javelin through jelly and it had me riding on a stee...

My Letter Carving Workshop is Now Open for Business!

Life-living letter carver, carve me a letter crisp on my headstone and fill it with wonder I'd like to carve it, but you would do better, for you stand above this earth and I am laid under. - Tom Wiggins My new letter carving workshop is now open for business.  Taking bespoke commissions such as memorials (including headstones and cremation tablets), opening plaques and heraldry.  If you're looking for fine hand-carved lettering designed and carved by a fully trained stonemason and letter carver, please get in touch.   I'd be very happy to talk you through the process from design stage right through to installation.  Telephone: 07791969667 E-mail: tomwiggins86@gmail.com Website: www.tomwiggins.co.uk A bit about me:  Born and raised in Gloucester, I now live and work as a letter carver in the beautiful market town of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.  My journey in stone began in 2013 with a three-year Diploma in Stonemasonry at The City of Bath College. Th...

Monologue #1: Rob

This town used to be rough.   You only have to go back thirty years or so.   If you came for a night out from a neighbouring village, you’d get your head kicked in for the pleasure of a few pints.   You were better off pretending you were visiting from Devon.   Somewhere far enough away that a territorial local found you too boring to waste any energy on.   These things happened because there was nothing else to do.   And the youth were angry.   Now all those hellraisers are old and the rage has burnt out and their sons haven’t got the same need to fight.   But where does that rage go?   Does it just dissipate into the atmosphere?   Does it skip generations?         This town has changed.   For the better some would say.   No one fights in public anymore.   Not really.   Not like they used to.   Two-faced battles are fought online and so much of everything else happens behind closed doo...