Skip to main content

Saki / H. H. Munro - Master of the Short Story

My boss provided the introduction. He asked me whether I'd read any of Saki's short stories after he’d read a very short story of mine about a talking ostrich called Belinda who lays garlic dips.  It was one of those crazy little dream-stories I've always really liked writing.  I wrote it with craziness and surrealism in mind.  I wanted to be a bit weird for weird’s sake.  Weird doesn’t take itself too seriously and this leads to a sense of freedom.  This gives them a bit more snap, crackle and pop than if I was writing something a bit more serious.  

What I’ve learnt over the course of this year is that people like weird.  Or at least the sort of people I like like weird.  When I'd showed my boss that story, I was worried that he’d be a little bamboozled by it.  But regular readers don’t get bamboozled easily and my boss is a regular reader.  What actually happened was that he found it quite normal – normal within the construction of this dream-story.  And everyone dreams.  Everyone has an imagination.  And it’s not too much of a stretch to imagine an ostrich - who has the real-world capabilities of laying something as weird as an egg – laying garlic dips.  Surrealism, absurdism – call it what you will.  These things flourish with the suspension of disbelief.  And as long as there's the essence of reality weaved into the story, I've found you can go pretty damn crazy and people will still like it.  

A few weeks later, after a long search for the book, a 1976 paperback edition of The Best of Saki appeared on the workshop table. I still didn’t know anything about him.  I was pleased to see how brief his stories were.  I had much more patience for big novels in my teens and twenties but I can’t stomach them now.  As my love of poetry has increased, I can't seem to sustain the concentration needed to get through something big.  I like a novella.  Steinbeck’s Travel with Charley was wonderful, but East of Eden will remain unread on my bookshelf for the foreseeable.      

I like really short stories, or flash fiction, or whatever you’d like to call them.  Writing a good poem is hard and writing a good novel is even harder.  But I like a short story.  It’s seemingly the most straightforward and doesn’t take too much commitment from the reader.  It’s not as subjective or potentially opaque as a poem or as vast as a novel. I’m not a prolific short story reader and I’m an even less prolific a writer of them, but having read a good deal of poetry, I certainly know what I like. 

There was this short story I read last Christmas that really excited me.  I can’t think of any other way of putting it.  It just gave me energy.  It’s called Take a Magpie Up to Heaven and it’s by Grace Carman.  There were things I like about Murakami’s short stories and things I like about Italo Calvino’s segments in Invisible Cities, but I’d never been able to find anything that hit the nail on the head for me style-wise.  I’d never had that holy-shit-Batman!-that’s-frickin’-it moment.  The moment you get to the end and you’re shaking your head because you’ve just read something great and all you want to do is read it again.  Then comes a burning jealousy that you didn’t write it.  I wish I had written it.  I wanted to get in touch with Grace but I wasn't on social media so I thanked her using my mum’s Instagram account.  This is the point I should say LOL.  I won't...LOL.  

The very first thing I posted on this blog was a short story called Out on the Tiles that I wrote back in 2011. The thing that struck me while reading it was how much I was trying to copy someone else’s style.  I can’t say for sure whose style it was, but it certainly wasn’t mine.  It may have been an impersonation of a style that I thought readers might like.  I’ve never been on a creative writing course but I’d imagine one of the first lessons is to write something you yourself would want to read.  Clearly it’s taken me a good few years to fully understand that.  


Main content



Main con


Saki’s short stories have been a revelation.  Had it not been for Grace’s short story, these would be the first short stories that have really resonated with me.  Some are better than others, but the quality is always there.  My poetry proves that I like putting my characters in odd little pickles.  They are often confusing and almost entirely silent situations in which one person knows dramatically more about what’s happening than the other person.  It seems niche, and it probably is niche, but readers like niche.  Niche and weird.  And it’s the kind of thing that Saki does.  He has a love for this rock-and-a-hard-place scenario and this provides the fuel for all of his stories.  I could imagine him sitting at breakfast and thinking ‘I wonder what it would be like for a man to be caught between two old witches at odds with each other', as is the case in one of my favourites of his, The Peace of Mowsle Barton.   And he builds the story from there.  

Last Wednesday morning I was running a bit late for work, but I had just enough time to read one Saki story.  As I heated my porridge up, I wondered how many short film adaptations of his stories were on YouTube.  Quite a few as it turns out.  I singled one out that featured a young Michael Sheen as one to watch after work.  I wondered if it featured in the book I was reading because I didn’t want to watch it before I read the story.  Lo and behold, it was the story I had my bookmark poised to read next!  Half an hour later, having eaten my porridge, I’d read the story and was able to squeeze in its onscreen adaptation as well!  I cycled to work at breakneck speed.  

I feel as if this is the beginning of a journey.  I’ve already written the first draft of a short story in the style of Saki and there’s certainly more to come. We’re approaching the 150th anniversary of his birth and he deserves to be celebrated.  So this is to Saki, also known as H. H. Munro:  we bow to your greatness!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

An Expert Analysis of Michael Fassbender's Running Style From the Film 'Shame'

Tom Wiggins: What are your first impressions of Michael Fassbender/Brandon's running style? Paul Whittaker: He's running nice, smooth and relaxed. He seems like he has a good amount of fitness and he is running well within himself in terms of pace.   TW: What improvements could he make to his running style? PW: The main improvement I'd make is his foot plant.  He lands heel first and this causes a 'breaking' effect when travelling forwards.  If he landed on his mid-foot/forefoot, this would be a much better for impact stress and propulsion going forward into the next running stride. TW: Regarding his speed, how many minutes per mile is he running? PW : I would say he is running approx 7-7.30 minutes per mile. TW:   What do you make of his stride lengths?  Is he overstriding/understriding? PW:  The actor is definitely overstriding in this clip.  It would help if his feet landed underneath and below his centre of gravity. TW: What's his